About this Policy
How to contact us
Royal African Safaris can be contacted via the email address firstname.lastname@example.org
What Information do we collect about you?
Making an Enquiry or Booking a Trip
We will collect certain information from you when you make an enquiry or book a trip with us. Depending on your interaction with us and the type of trip you book, we may collect the following personal information:
- Your full name, date of birth, gender, title, postal address, phone number, email address, next of kin, dietary requirements, height and weight, travel insurance details, passport details (including nationality and city of birth), passport scan, visa application, visa page scan. We may also ask for medical information which is considered sensitive under data protection laws.
- Any additional information you provide during the booking process to check if a trip is right for you. For example, if you have any pre-existing medical conditions, have a disability, medication that requires refrigeration etc.
- We may also keep records of the products and services you have enquired about or purchased from us, as well as collect information relevant to your booking such as flights and accommodation details you have not booked through Royal African Safaris.
If Royal African Safaris needs to provide you with a refund, your bank details may be collected, which are recorded and stored.
Photo and Video
When you are travelling with us a photo or video may be taken by a Royal African Partner Guide. If you do not want to be included in photos or video, please let your Partner know.
Marketing and Other Interactions
We only send newsletters to guests who have travelled with us or who have told us they wish to receive them. We do this on the basis of legitimate interest.
At the time of your inquiry we will collect your full name, email address, postal address and telephone number.
We may contact you for post-booking or post-trip feedback and ask you to comment on your experience. Where you have provided the relevant details, we may also contact you in response to your feedback to discuss your comments.
The Royal African Foundation
If you make a donation or the Royal African Foundation, we may collect your full name, email address, country and donation amount.
Why do we collect your information?
Under data protection laws, for Royal African Safaris to collect, hold, use and share your information we must have a purpose and lawful basis to do so. The legal basis may differ depending on your interaction with us and what information we collect, and will fall under:
Legitimate Interest – Legitimate interest means your information has a purpose and is necessary in order to provide a product or service and does not override your rights and freedoms as an individual. For example; we collect your email address for the purpose of communicating with you. It’s necessary to communicate about the product or service you’re requesting or booking, and for Royal African Safaris to provide you with relevant information.
Legal Obligations – In certain circumstances we will need to use your information to comply with our legal obligations, for example, to comply with local laws in the country you are visiting, etc.
Vital Interest – We will collect your travel insurance information under the legal basis of vital interest, as it could be essential to you and your health that we contact your insurance provider in case of an emergency.
Contract – Fulfilling a contract you may have entered into with us, such as completing a travel reservation as part of your planned itinerary.
Consent – We will obtain your explicit consent when collecting sensitive information (for example, medical information) and when required by spam laws before sending you marketing materials. You can revoke your consent or object to our marketing at any time; please see ‘WHAT ARE YOUR RIGHTS’ for further information on revoking your consent or objecting to marketing.
Making an Enquiry or Booking a Trip
We use your information to arrange and provide you with the travel and services you have requested and booked. This includes booking any flights, transportation, accommodation and activities. The following will provide more insight into these purposes:
- Your personal information will be used by your Royal African Partner and our personnel to identify you and ensure your safety during the trip.
- Depending on your destination and services being booked for you, we may be required by the supplier to provide certain types of personal information in order to secure the booking. We may also be legally required by local laws and governments to provide travel documentation such as passport details or a passport scan.
- Your contact details will be collected in order to manage our relationship with you, including updates about your booking, providing relevant information and any applicable tickets, handling feedback and complaints, and to contact you in the event of an emergency.
- Providing relevant information, which may include sensitive information, to insurance providers, their agents and medical staff in circumstances where we/they need to act on your behalf or in the interest of passengers or in an emergency.
- Where allowed, your medical information may be shared with any relevant personnel to ensure that we understand any specific needs you may have, before and during your trip. Any pre-existing medical conditions could impact your enjoyment of the trip, and by informing us of any conditions, issues or limitations, we can ensure that Royal African Safaris is better prepared to assist if required.
- Other than where it is in your vital interests or required by relevant laws, medical information can only be used by Royal African Safaris with your consent. This is because medical information is considered sensitive and by consenting, you are showing us that you understand and agree to us processing this information. Providing medical information and consenting to its use by Royal African Safaris is optional, however, it is highly recommended that information be provided for your safety and wellbeing.
Photo and Video
On occasion, we may wish to use visual media of you captured by your Royal African Safaris Partner while you are on safari, to use in our printed and digital media for promotional purposes. In these cases, a consent and waiver form will be provided to you at the time we contact you to ask for your permission.
Marketing and Other Interactions
Royal African Safaris may use your information for marketing purposes including:
to tell you about Royal African safaris product and services we think you may be interested in, for example our Invitational Safaris which are not made publicly available, to keep you updated on Royal African Safaris news and updates from the Royal African Partners.
How do we collect your information?
Your information may come to us in a variety of different ways. You may provide information directly to us when communicating via email, phone, letter, or in person. You may also provide us with your information by filling in an online form, leaving feedback, completing a survey, or subscribing to a newsletter.
Your information may also be provided to us by an external partner or third party; for example, a travel agent, insurance provider or a friend/family member who is booking on your behalf.
SHARING YOUR INFORMATION
Making an Enquiry or Booking a Trip
In order to handle your enquiry, fulfil your service request or manage your booking, we may share your personal information with the following:
- Inside the Royal African Safaris team (including Partner Guides)
- Related overseas entities (i.e. Destination Management Companies)
- Travel Partners (i.e. Travel agencies, etc.)
- Travel providers (i.e. Airlines, tour companies, etc.)
- Third party operators (i.e. local operators, couriers, mailing houses, payment processors, etc.)
- Suppliers and Service providers (i.e. hotels, transfer drivers, etc.)
- Government authorities (i.e. border crossings, etc.)
- If you book flights through Royal African Safaris, or your trip includes a flight, the relevant personal information will be provided to the applicable airline. Similarly, if your trip is operated by a non-Royal African Safaris affiliated tour company, your personal information will be provided to that company for them to confirm you on the trip and provide the relevant services. We also share your personal information with any travel providers or third-party local operators for the purpose of improving services and experiences, and to investigate where necessary.
Please be assured only the relevant people will be provided with access to this information.
Any information shared with travel providers is done so via secure methods and the travel provider is responsible for any information they hold in their system.
We share your personal information with third parties that help us operate, provide, improve, integrate, customize support and market our products and services. This includes third party service providers that provide website and application development, hosting, maintenance, backup, storage and payment processing which may require them to access or use information about you.
With your consent
We share information about you with third parties when you give us consent to do so. For example, we may display personal reviews from guests that have travelled with us on our public website. With your consent, we may post your name alongside the review.
Your information may be shared within the Royal African Safaris Group and our related entities as part of our global operations including but not limited to Royal African Licensed Operators.
We may share or transfer information in connection with any merger, sale of company assets, financing, or acquisition of all or a portion of our business to another company. You will be notified via email and/or a prominent notice on the services if a transaction takes place, as well as any choices you may have regarding your information.
We may share your information with an enforcement body (i.e. police) where disclosure is authorised or required by law, or with insurance providers or medical personnel. This may be for identification of fraud or error, for regulatory reporting and compliance, or if we believe the disclosure is necessary to lessen or prevent a threat to life, health or safety.
We will not sell your personal information.
Transferring your information
As discussed above, it is necessary for us to share your information with our entities, partners and third parties, many of which are located overseas. When we transfer your information overseas, we require that appropriate privacy, confidentiality and security measures are in place, and that we comply with those data protection and privacy laws which apply to us.
Also as discussed above, we use service providers. We operate with different service providers across several countries so it is not possible for us to provide a list of all these providers and countries in this Policy. If you have any specific questions about where or to whom your personal information will be sent, please see the Contact Us section below.
In some jurisdictions, including the EEA, data protection laws restrict transferring personal information outside the jurisdiction. In all cases, we ensure that appropriate safeguards for the purposes of those data protection laws which restrict the trans-border flow of personal information, have been established and are maintained, whether in the form of standard contractual clauses, appropriate inter-company agreements, adequacy measures or through ensuring certification with the US-EU Privacy Shield.
What are your rights
We want you to feel reassured that you have control of the information you provide to us. Depending on relevant data protection laws, there are certain rights you have over your personal information including:
You can ask us to update any inaccurate, incomplete or out-of-date information we hold about you
You can ask us to provide you with a copy of the information we hold on you, or that we transfer that information to another service provider
You may request that we stop processing or using your information
You may request that we delete any/all information we hold about you
You may withdraw consent that you have provided to us
Where possible we will comply with your request, however, there may be instances where we cannot fulfil your request, or there will be consequences if we were to fulfil your request. We will always communicate with you about any consequences before going forward, or give you written reasons for any refusal.
If you are subscribed to any promotional marketing newsletters, you have the choice to unsubscribe from these communications by scrolling to the bottom of the e-mail and clicking the ‘unsubscribe’ link or in the case of our annual newsletter which his delivered to your home, contact us directly to update your preferences.
Under the GDPR, if you live in the European Economic Area (EEA), you are also entitled to, at any time:
- Withdraw consent to our use of your information for marketing purposes.
- Object to the processing of your personal data, especially where we collect your personal data for claimed legitimate interest.
- Request your personal information be transferred to yourself or a third party without hindrance in a commonly used format.
- You may also wish to make a complaint about the way we have handled your personal information or other interference with your privacy rights.
- You can exercise any of these rights at any time by contacting us (see the Contact Us section) or your relevant privacy or data protection authority.
If you would like to exercise your rights, as listed above, you can also do this by contacting us via email@example.com
We will contact you within a reasonable time frame after receiving your enquiry or request to verify who you are in order to locate any accounts or bookings you may have with us or ask any follow up questions to better understand your enquiry.
We will inform you whether we will conduct an investigation and the estimated completion date for the investigation process. After we have completed our enquiries, we will contact you, usually in writing, to advise the outcome and invite a response to our conclusions about the complaint. If we receive a response from you, we will assess it and advise if we have changed our view. If you are unsatisfied by our final response, you may escalate your complaint to the relevant regulatory body.
Complaint to the Data Protection Authority
If you have any concerns or complaints about how we are collecting or processing your personal information, you can complain to your local data protection authority. If you are in the EU, please follow this link to locate the data protection authority most relevant to you: https://edpb.europa.eu/about-edpb/board/members_en
We will only retain your personal information for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements.
To determine the appropriate retention period for personal information, we consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the personal information, the potential risk of harm from unauthorised use or disclosure of your personal information, the purposes for which we process your personal information and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and the applicable legal requirements.
How we keep your information secure
Royal African Safaris is dedicated to keeping your personal information secure. We have implemented various physical, electronic and managerial security procedures in order to protect your information from loss and misuse, and from unauthorized access, modification, disclosure and interference.
We have put in place procedures to deal with any suspected personal information breach and will notify you and any applicable regulator of a breach where we are legally required to do so.
Links to Third Party Sites
Cookies & Website Usage
What Are Cookies?
Cookies are unique to the web browser you’re using – so if you’re using a desktop computer as well as a mobile, different data will be collected for each. You can find more information on the About Cookies website www.aboutcookies.org/
Cookies can be set by the owner of the website you’re on. These are known as 1st Party Cookies. There are also 3rd Party Cookies that can be set by partner websites. Only the owner of the cookie can see the anonymous information it collects.
You can choose to accept all cookies, reject 3rd Party Cookies or reject all cookies either by changing your internet browser settings or when provided with the option to do so by us. If you don’t accept cookies, some features of our website may not work.
What Information Do We Collect?
We may collect information about your visits to, browsing of, and use of our website, unless your web browser blocks this. The range of data we collect will depend on how you interact with our website.
This information may include:
- Your IP address (a unique identifier allocated to your computer for your connection to the internet)
- Your computer device details (PC, tablet, smartphone, watch, make and model, etc.)
- The make and version of web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, Opera, Chrome) you are using
- Your operating system (e.g. Windows, Windows Phone, OSX, iOS, Android, Linux etc.)
- Your time-zone
- Your browser plug-ins
- Any webpage you came from, identified as the referrer web page address by your web browser
- Page response times
- Download error
- Pages and parts of pages you visit
- The usage you make of our website, including enquiries and searches undertaken, and registrations for accounts, forums etc.
- Services and products you viewed
- Length of visit to website and pages
- Page interaction information (such as scrolling, keys pressed, mouse clicks, touches, and mouse-overs)
Improving your experience
We can find out how you move around our website, so we can investigate any errors stopping you from being able to do what you want. The data we collect from cookies is important for us to improve your experience.
Types of cookies we use
You may choose to opt-out of Google Analytics using the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on which you may access at https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout/.
You can change your browser settings to accept or refuse all cookies, choose which cookies you want or don’t want, or ask to be notified when a cookie is set. Use the help feature in your browser to see how.
Changing your mind after you’ve accepted our cookies
Created: 22 April 2020
Updated: 16 May 2020
© 2020 Royal African Safaris
Design and Development by Focus Online